|The Chinese Five Arts||Reference|
|Date Selection||About Us|
|Qi Men Dun Jia||Contact|
|Xuan Kong Da Gua|
3rd April 2009
How to Plot a QMDJ Chart
Using the Hour School
Before we learn how to plot a QMDJ chart, it is good that we familiarise ourselves with some common words and terminology used in QMDJ charting. In my previous article, I did not explain in great details the terminology of key QMDJ terms and I intend to do it here in this article.
Many of these terms are from derived from Chinese words using Pinyin translation and it is easier to refer to them when describing QMDJ instead of its corresponding English words.
QMDJ Terms and Definition
In a QMDJ chart, there are a few plates or pan 盤 that needs to be plotted. They are:
1. Dipan Qiyi pan 地盤奇儀
2. Tianpan Qiyi pan 天盤奇儀
3. Jiuxing pan 九星盤
4. Bamen pan 八門盤
5. Bashen pan 八神盤
Following are the steps to plot the 5 pans of QMDJ.
Steps to find Fushou 符首or Xunshou 旬首
1. Plot the 4 pillar chart of the day and hour.
2. Determine the Yonggan 用干. It is the hour stem.
3. For the hour pillar, find the first pillar of the six Jia 六甲 sequence. This should either one of the six Jia like JiaZi 甲子, JiaXu 甲戌, JiaShen 甲申, JiaWu 甲午, JiaChen 甲辰 or JiaYin 甲寅.
4. For example, if the hour pillar is GuiWei 己卯, counting backwards to Jia stem, the sequence will be WuYin 戊寅, DingChou 丁丑, BingZi 丙子, YiHai 乙亥 and finally JiaXu 甲戌. JiaXu is therefore the Xunshou 旬首 of the hour pillar.
5. These Xunshou 旬首 can be represented by one of the Liuyi 六儀 known as Fushou符首. The assignment are JiaZi is Wu 戊, JiaXu is Ji 己, JiaShen is Geng 庚, JiaWu is Xin 辛, JiaChen is Ren 壬 and JiaYin is Gui 癸.
6. In the example, if JiaXu is the Xunshou 旬首, then Ji 己is the Fushou 符首.
Steps to plot Dipan Qiyi 地盤奇儀
1. Determine the Ju 局 number and the whether the Ju局 is Yang Dun 陽遁 or Yin Dun 阴遁.
2. The steps to find the Ju 局 can be found in my previous article in this site.
3. Use the Ju number to locate the starting palace of the Jiugong based on the Luoshu 洛書 palace number. For example, if the Ju is 3, the starting palace is Zhen震 palace; if the Ju is 9 the starting palace is Li 離 palace.
4. If Ju is Yang, fly the Qiyi sequence forward in the Jiugong based on the Luoshu sequence from the starting palace starting with Wu 戊. If the Ju is Yin, fly the Qiyi backward in the Liugong based on the Luoshu sequence from the starting palace starting with Wu 戊.
5. The Dipan Qiyi 地盤奇儀 is complete.
Steps to plot the Tianpan Qiyi 天盤奇儀
1. Take note of the clockwise sequence of the Dipan Qiyi 地盤奇儀 around the 9 Palace Jiugong九宫.
2. Take the Fushou 符首 and put it above the Yonggan用干 of the Dipan Qiyi 地盤奇儀.
3. Using the same clockwise sequence as the Dipan Qiyi 地盤奇儀, assign the remaining Qiyi 奇儀 on the Tianpan Qiyi 天盤奇儀 starting with the Yonggan 用干.
4. The Tianpan Qiyi 天盤奇儀 is complete.
Steps to determine Birth Palace of Fushou
1. From the Tianpan Qiyi 天盤奇儀 and Dipan Qiyi 地盤奇儀 chart, look for the Fushou符首at the Dipan Qiyi 地盤奇儀.
2. From where the Fushou 符首 is located, take note of the Gong 宫 or palace where it lies.
3. The Gong can either one of the eight palace of Kan 坎, Kun 坤, Zhen 震, Xun 巽, Qian 乾, Dui 兌, Gen 艮, Li 離.
4. This palace or Gong 宫 is the birth palace of the Fushou 符首.
Steps to determine Zhifu 值符
1. The original birth palace of the Jiuxing 九星 as determined by the Luoshu palace sequence are 1 Kan 坎 for Tianpeng 天蓬, 2 Kun 坤 for Tianrui 天芮, 3 Zhen 震 for Tianchong 天沖, 4 Xun 巽 for Tianfu 天輔, 5 Tianqin 天禽, 6 Qian 乾 for Tianxin 天心, 7 Tianzhu Dui 兌 for 天柱, 8 Gen 艮 for Tianren 天任 and 9 Li 離 for Tianying 天英.
2. The Zhifu 值符 is the Jiuxing 九星 in the birth palace of the Fushou 符首.
3. For example, if the birth palace of the Fushou 符首 is Zhen, then Tianchong 天沖 is the Zhifu 值符 because Zhen 震 is 3 and 3 is the birth palace of the Jiuxing 九星 Tianchong 天沖.
4. Zhifu 值符 is sometimes known as Big Zhifu 大值符.
Steps to determine Zhishi 值使
1. The original birth palace of the Bamen 八門 as determined by the Luoshu palace sequence are 1 Xiumen 休門, 2 Shengmen 生門, 3 Shangmen 傷門, 4 Dumen 杜門, 5 Jingmen 景門, 6 Simen 死門, 7 Jingmen 驚門 and 8 Kaimen 開門.
2. The Zhishi 值使 is the Bamen 八門 in the birth palace of the Fushou 符首.
3. For example, if the birth palace of the Fushou 符首 is Zhen 震, then Shangmen 傷門 is the Zhishi 值使 because Zhen 震is 3 and 3 is the birth palace of the Bamen 八門 Shangmen 傷門.
Steps to plot Jiuxing Pan
1. Put the Zhifu 值符 in the same palace as the Yonggan 用干 in the Dipan Qiyi 地盤奇儀.
2. For Jiuxing 九星 pan, there are 2 or 3 systems of plotting. One system is to rotate the Jiuxing 九星 clockwise while the other is to fly the Jiuxing 九星 forward in a Luoshu flying star sequence. The third lesser known system is to fly the Jiuxing 九星 forward in a Luoshu flying star sequence for Yang Dun and fly backward for Yin Dun.
Steps to plot Bamen Pan
1. Determine the birth palace of the Zhishi 值使. If palace is Kan 坎, palace number is 1, if the palace is Kun 坤, the palace number is 2, and so on.
2. Locate the palace number in the diagram below and start counting from Jia 甲 clockwise if it is Yang Dun and anticlockwise if it is Yin Dun, until it reaches the Yonggan 用干 stem. You can substitute the diagram below using your palm and fingers.
3. In the example below for Yang Dun, Zhen 震 is the birth palace of the Fushou 符首 and therefore the palace number is 3. Start counting from Jia甲 clockwise until Bing 丙 (Yonggan 用干).
4. If the Yonggan 用干 number is 5, then use 2 (Kun 坤) as the starting palace because number 5 is the center palace and will move to Kun 坤 palace.
5. Starting from the Yonggan 用干 number (starting palace), start assigning the Bamen 八門 in a clockwise sequence.
The picture above shows the palm representation of the 9 palace
6. In the case of Yin Dun, the starting palace is 1 (Kan 坎) for assigning the Bamen 八 in a clockwise sequence.
Steps to plot Bashen Pan 八神
1. The Bashen sequence is 1 Zhifu 值符, 2 Tengshe 螣蛇, 3 Taiyin 太陰, 4 Liuhe 六合, 5 Baihu 白虎 (Gouchen 勾陈), 6 Xuanwu 玄武 (Zhuqiao 朱雀), 7 Jiudi 九地 and 8 Jiutian 九天.
2. The first Bashen is Zhifu 值符. This is sometimes known as Small Zhifu 小值符 to differentiate it from the Big Zhifu 大值符 of the Jiuxing.
3. The Small Zhifu 小值符 is located in the same palace as the Big Zhifu 大值符 of the Jiuxing 九星.
4. For Yang Dun, arrange the sequence of the Bashen 八神 clockwise. For Yin Dun, arrange the sequence anti-clockwise.
Let us go through a complete example to plot a QMDJ hour chart in order to understand the steps described above.
The selected date and time is 18th March 2009, Wei 未 hour.
The 4 pillars of the date is
or in Pinyin
The hour stem is Yi 乙and therefore the Yonggan is Yi 乙.
The first pillar of the six Jia 六甲 sequence for YiSi 乙巳 is JiaChen 甲辰. JiaChen is the Xunshou 旬首. The Liuyi 六儀 that represent JiaChen is Ren 壬. Therefore Ren壬 is the Fushou 符首.
To plot the Dipan, for the given date, the Ju 局 is Yang 4. Yang 4 represent Xun 巽 palace. Therefore put the Fushou into the Xun 巽 palace.
Fly Wu 戊 forward in Luoshu flying star sequence since it is Yang Dun. If it is Yin Dun, then fly backward. For this example, fly the Wu 戊in a forward Qiyi sequence for Yang Dun.
We have just completed plotting the Dipan.
For the Tianpan, assign the Fushou 符首 Ren 壬 in the same palace as the Yonggan Yi 乙in the Dipan in the Zhen palace.
Once the Fushou 符首 Ren 壬 is placed into the Zhen palace, assign the same sequence of the Dipan into the Tianpan in a clockwise manner.
We have just completed plotting the Tianpan.
Look for the Fushou 符首 Ren 壬 in the Dipan and take note of the palace. In this case it is the Gen 艮 palace. Therefore Gen 艮 palace is the birthplace of the Fushou 符首.
The original home palace of the Jiuxing in the Gen 艮 palace is Tianren 天任. Therefore Tianren 天任 is Zhifu 值符. Refer to my Reference page for QMDJ if you cannot remember the home palace of Jiuxing.
The original home palace of the Bamen in the Gen 艮 palace is Shengmen 生門. Therefore Shengmen 生門is Zhishi 值使. Refer to my Reference page for QMDJ if you cannot remember the home palace of Bamen.
Put the Zhifu 值符 Tianren 天任 in the same palace as the Yonggan Yi 乙in the Dipan.
Depending on the system you adopt for Jiuxing placement, assign the remaining Jiuxing into the remaining palaces. For this example, we shall use the forward flying sequence and we will get the following chart below.
Next, for Bamen, the Zhishi 值使 is Shengmen 生門. Shengmen¡¯s original birth palace is in Gen 艮 palace. Gen palace is number 8. Counting from Jia to the Yonggan Yi, it is 8 to 9. Number 9 is in the Li 離 palace. Therefore place Shengmen 生門 into the Li 離 palace. Starting from Shengmen 生門, place the remaining Bamen in a clockwise sequence around the chart.
The Bamen chart is complete.
For Bashen, the Small Zhifu 值符 is in the same palace as the Zhifu 天任 of the Jiuxing. Therefore place 值符 into the Zhen palace. Then place the remaining Bashen in the chart in a clockwise sequence since it is Yang Dun.
The Bashen pan is complete.
With this QMDJ chart plotting tutorial and my previous QMDJ Ju calculating tutorial article, I believe you now ready to plot a QMDJ chart manually without using any reference other than a Ten Thousand Year Calendar book. But if you are able to remember the starting dates of the 24 solar terms and able to plot a 4 pillar chart of any given date manually, then you should not need a Ten Thousand Year Calendar and can be like a modern day Zhu Geliang ( Öî¸ðÁÁ ) with the ability to plot a QMDJ chart on the fly with just a pencil and paper anytime and anywhere.
By Cyril Quah
"The Feng Shui Connoisseur"
|Copyright 2006 Feng Shui Connoisseur. All rights reserved.|